Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rhubarb Red Wine BBQ Sauce


Last spring, my coworker Lisa gave me a bunch of rhubarb from her CSA.  It was the first time I'd ever seen the stuff up close and I had no idea what to do with it.  Sure, I've heard of rhubarb pie but I'm not much of a baker so I set out to find ways to use rhubarb outside of the dessert world.  Thanks to my favorite cooking site, Food 52,  I found this fantastic Rhubarb Red Wine BBQ Sauce that complimented pulled pork so well that I've been daydreaming about the day rhubarb hit the shelves of Whole Foods (it's only available in late spring and early summer).

The sauce is easy enough.  I've tried it on both pulled pork and beef brisket and its unbelievable on both.  My only advice is for you to RUN (don't walk!) to the nearest grocery store and pick up some rhubarb before it's too late...and try this dish!


Rhubarb Red Wine BBQ Sauce


6 stalks rhubarb, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 red wine
1/2 cup strong coffee
1/4 brown sugar
2 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
8 grinds of fresh pepper

Bring the rhubarb, water and sugar to a boil.  Boil for 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is easily breaking apart and only strings are left.


Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.  Mix with your dish of choice (such as pulled pork).


No comments:

Post a Comment