Sunday, June 3, 2012

Beef Brisket with Rhubarb Red Wine BBQ Sauce

In my last post, I raved about the Rhubarb Red Wine BBQ Sauce that I'd been waiting all year to make.  Well, I've made it twice so far and the first time was for a dinner party with my dear friends Michelle, Steve, Peter, Chris, and Sarah (who make up five of my 16 loyal followers).  The sauce was used with beef brisket and I must say that the meal was very well received!

Like all barbeque, this dish takes time.  My brisket was made with a stovetop/oven combo but I'd highly recommend using a crock pot, if such luxuries are available, for two reasons:  (1) my brisket was a bit tough, perhaps it was cooked a bit too long, but I believe the crock pot helps in this arena; and (2) you won't have to stay in the house on heartbreakingly beautiful days like I did.  Either way, brisket is a real treat that we should indulge every once in a while...


Beef Brisket with Rhubarb Red Wine BBQ Sauce


1 four pound chunk of beef brisket
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp canola oil
2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch rings
2 green onions, white parts cut into small pieces
1 carrot, cut in half length wise and into 1 inch pieces
4 celery stalks, cut into thirds
1 large box of beef stock
1 can of beer

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Season the brisket with salt and pepper.  In a cast iron pan over high heat, heat the canola oil until it's sizzling.  Sear the brisket with the fat side down for 3-4 minutes.  Flip it over and do the same on the other side.

Place the brisket in a roasting pan.  Cover with the yellow onions, green onions, carrots, celery and beef stock.  Cover and roast in the over for 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes.


After the initial 2 hrs of roasting is up, pour the can of beer over the beef.  Cover and cook for an additional 1 1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes.


Remove from the oven and let the meat rest for one hour.  Remove the layer of fat and shred the beef with a fork until it's completely pulled.  Drench in the Rhubarb Red Wine BBQ Sauce.

1 comment: