Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Vegetarian Chili Sin Chili

Okay, I'll admit that making a dish that completely forgoes its namesake is a bit off kilter, but I'm a bit off kilter with my dislike of spicy food.  I'm getting there; a few years ago, I would have never considered making chili.  I've come a long way and this dish still packs enough flavor to satisfy the most daring of palettes.

In any case, try it - you can always play with the spices to pack more of a punch than a beginner like me.

2 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped medium yellow onion
1/2 red pepper - chopped
1/2 green pepper - chopped
1 carrot - sliced
1/2 medium yellow squash - sliced
1/2 medium zucchini - sliced
1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 large tomatoes - chopped
3 cans of beans (I used black beans, chickpeas, and kidney beans...feel free to experiment)
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 cup of water or vegetable stock
1 handful cilantro - chopped (plus more for garnish)
1 cup of rice (cooking to packaging)
1 avocado, chopped

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a stir fry pan or deep dish.  Once hot, add the onion and cook until translucent and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.  Add the remaining vegetables and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.

Once the vegetables are slightly cooked, add the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne and stir into vegetables for about 30 seconds (remember, I'm a baby when it comes to spice - add more spice to up the anty).  Next, add the tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir into vegetable mixtures for 2-3 minutes.

Add the water and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, bring to a simmer cook uncovered for an additional 20-25 minutes, until the dish thickens and is completely heated through.

Stir in the cilantro, rice, and avocado and enjoy!

2 comments: