Sunday, November 13, 2011

Grown-Up Grilled Cheese: Brie and Pear


My grown up grilled cheese dish was actually served with the butternut squash soup recipe and a side salad.  Of course, the little kid in me craved an exact replication of the grilled cheese I enjoyed at Friendly's years ago.  I still, to this day, have no idea why their grilled cheese was so delish yet so simple, but I decided to switch up the classic American soul food with a more grown up option:  brie cheese, pear slices, arugula, and red onion.  Even steered clear of the plain ol' white bread...go me.


Grown-Up Grilled Cheese:  Brie and Pear



  • Small wedge of brie cheese
  • 1/4 of an Asian pear, thinly sliced
  • Handful of arugula (technical, I know)
  • Handful of sliced red onion (again, very technical)
  • Bread of choice - I used a soft roll from Whole Foods
Spread half of the brie cheese over the bread and chop the remaining cheese into large pieces, placing evenly on the sandwich.  Add the pear slices, red onion, and arugula.

Place sandwich on a griddle (I actually used a George Foreman grill as my cast iron griddle top is too heavy for sandwiches).  Cook until cheese is melted and the outside of the bread is lightly browned.



2 comments:

  1. I am very excited to try this one!! Thanks Lauren- love all of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meg!! I hope you enjoy all of the meals :) thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete