Friday, August 19, 2011

Summertime Fresh: Watermelon Salad


Watermelon ranks right behind ice cream as my favorite summertime treat. I'm lucky to live in a city filled with farmers market so this sweet fruit is easily accessible and always fresh. Watermelon is versatile, too. It can serve as a dessert one day and as a meal the next.

I made a watermelon salad to spice up a more traditional beef tenderloin dish. It was easy to make AND I had enough leftovers to enjoy as workday snack the following day.

Stock photo disclaimer: I'm still mastering the art of photographing food. Bear with me until my meals look as delicious as they taste :)


Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese and Basil

  • 1/4 fresh seedless watermelon, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1/4 cup fresh goat cheese
  • Handful of fresh basil, cut into thin strips
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Simply mix all ingredients together until watermelon pieces are equally coated with cheese, basil, oil, and vinegar.

Ease of Cooking: 10/10...it doesn't get much easier than some quick chopping and measuring.

Leftover Capability: 8/10...the goat cheese, while complimentary to the watermelon, was absorbed into the fruit. The taste was there but the look wasn't. I'd recommend a harder cheese, such as feta, if you want to see the cheese in addition to tasting it.

Overall: 10/10...this dish is worth making again and again. It's fresh, healthy, and goes well with many dishes. Don't miss out on fresh watermelon salad this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment