Monday, November 12, 2012

Lemon and Fennel Risotto Balls

My last post on the Lemon and Fennel Risotto was a bit negative, I'll admit.  The risotto was delicious but not a quick dish; however, it completely redeemed itself when I made these Lemon and Fennel Risotto Balls with the leftovers!  Nothing like getting two meals out of a fairly complicated first round.  I especially enjoyed the risotto balls because they still contained the tartness of the original recipe while gaining the crispy fried outer layer from quickly searing them on a cast iron pan.

To make this into a quick and healthy weeknight dinner, I placed the risotto balls over a bed of fresh spinach with avocado and red pepper slices.  While I'm not sure these will be a regular in my kitchen due to the total time it required to make, I'm sure I'll be using the general technique with other rice-based dishes looking for a quick pick-me-up.

Lemon and Fennel Risotto Balls

Leftover Lemon and Fennel Risotto
1-2 eggs, depending on the amount of risotto left over
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix the risotto with 1 or 2 eggs as this depends on how much rice mixture you have left.  The rice and egg should easily combine to hold a ball shape; too much egg will make them sticky while too little egg will not allow them to hold a shape.

Once the risotto balls are formed, heat olive oil in a cast iron pan.  Place the risotto balls in the frying pan and brown on each side - about 1-2 minutes each side being careful not to burn.  As the sides become crisper, it will be easier to cook the edges as well while maintaining the round shape.  Remove from heat and serve over a crisp salad.

1 comment: