Monday, January 16, 2012

Veggie Lovers Soup

A couple days ago, I went to Whole Foods without a shopping list.  I don't consider myself a very organized person - I'm totally that person who only picks up clothes off the floor when guests are visiting - but I'm truly committed to planning out my meals for the week and buying only what is needed.  This is necessary for managing my time but also prevents me from buying gourmet cheeses, desserts, and other temptations at Whole Foods.

Anyway, I went a little crazy in the produce section and ended up with a ton of veggies.  Because this was unplanned, I had that "oh sh*t" buyer's remorse moment when I had no idea how I'd consume so many of them.  Luckily I had a few staple items in the kitchen, such as vegetable broth and canned tomatoes, and realized that I could make a pretty dynamite soup without having to make another (unplanned) trip to the store.

The other cool thing is I've made enough soups to not have to follow a recipe this time around...ahhh...progress.

Just a small portion of what I was working with...
Can't forget these guys!

Veggie Lovers Soup

3 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped into inch slices
3 new potatoes, unpeeled and chopped into inch pieces
1 yam or sweet potato, peeled and chopped into inch pieces
1 turnip, peeled and chopped into inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 yellow squash, cut into quarter slices
1/2 zucchini, cut into quarter slices
1 15oz can chickpeas
1 quart vegetable broth
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato paste
1 cup whole leaf spinach
1/2 cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
cumin to taste

Heat olive oil over medium low heat.  Saute garlic and onion until onion is translucent, about five minutes.  Add the pepper, potatoes, yams, turnips, carrots, squash, and zucchini and saute for an additional five minutes.

Next, add the tomato paste and heat with the vegetables for about two minutes.  Add the chickpeas, crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.  Let boil for about 10 minutes, then bring it two a simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the salt, pepper, and cumin during this period.

After the 40 minutes is up, add the spinach and cilantro and stir until the spinach is wilted, about two minutes.

Add more salt and pepper if you'd like...and enjoy!

This recipe also yields a ton of leftovers...hello lunch for the work week :)

I hear vodka goes well with vegetable soup.

1 comment: