Monday, December 5, 2011

Minestrone Soup

Well, time for round two of cooking for my parents.  I chose minestrone soup because it's healthy but eats like a meal.  Yikes, I sound like a Campbell's commercial but it's late and, well, I just can't think of another way to describe it.  However, since my parents are a tough crowd (I kid, I kid), there was some skepticism in the room on whether it'd be enough food.

Oh, was it ever...


Minestrone Soup


3 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 carrots, cut into small rounds
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped into small rounds
1 yellow squash, chopped into small rounds
1 potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
4 cups vegetable stock
1 can chickpeas
1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed in hands
1 cup kale, chopped
1/2 cup elbow macaroni
Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent and fragrant.  Add the carrots, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, and potato and saute for another 3-4 minutes.

Add the stock, chickpeas and tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook the mixture for 40 minutes.

Next, add the kale and the macaroni and cook until the pasta is tender.

Serve with a generous helping of freshly grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment